Computing Student Association
Due to the nature of a student association, there are many cases where a quick, small change to the operation of an association is beneficial to its members in the short term. Due to the requirements of changing a constitution, and the fast changing nature of the computing field, the Computing Student Association (hereby “The Association”) presents this document to fill the holes left by a fast moving industry, while keeping our constitution precise and accurate. This document shall never replace any article of the The Association’s Constitution, and should only exist alongside the existing clauses it provides.
- Named Positions
The following positions are named positions within The Association – they do not have to be voted on at a General Meeting (although they may be, if the Executive sees fit) and may be appointed at an Executive Meeting. These positions may be held by members who hold Executive positions, if needed, and need not all be filled for a given semester. If a position is not filled, its responsibilities become those of The Executive as a whole.
The Executive also holds the power to name any officers or sub-committees as it deems necessary, which are then responsible for carrying out the task(s) they are given.
1. SCC Manager
The SCC Manager’s job is to monitor the contents and use of all resources available in the Student Computing Center (SCC). Alongside the Executive, the SCC Manager may suggest equipment purchases or replacements within the room. Furthermore, it is the SCC Manager’s responsibility to ensure that the room is kept clean and operational.
The Webmaster is responsible for the moderation of content appearing on The Association’s website. Time-sensitive matters like Domain renewals and hosting fees should be tracked and brought to the attention of the Executive well ahead of time by the Webmaster.
3. Project Manager
The Project Manager is responsible for the delegation of resources within the SCC to members who wish to work with the resources made available. The Project Manager also serves as a single point of contact for any projects the CSA is currently working on, and should have limited knowledge of all resources available.
4. Communications Manager
The Communications Manager is responsible for all relevant social media platforms that the Executive chooses to operate with to represent The Association. This includes the mentioning of upcoming events and meetings, as well as tailoring content to the assumed interests of The Association’s target audience.
5. Alumni Representative
The Alumni Representative(s) represent active members in the history of The Association, who wish to offer their opinions and experience to the current members. While this named position does not grant voting privileges in meetings (unless specifically requested by The Executive)
6. General Representative
General Representatives are members who wish to become more active in the association, but are either ineligible for available positions, or unable to commit the effort towards them. General Representatives are expected to attend meetings, to be actively involved in keeping the SCC open when they can, and to participate in events put on by the CSA.
- Planned Absences
- In the event that a member of The Executive is expected to be away for an extended period of time, (e.g. Co-op) they should step down from their position, or find someone willing to hold their position in their absence. In the case of the President, the Vice President assumes all duties of the President until such a time that the President returns.
- Expenditure of Funds
- Each individual expenditure of funds must be voted on at an executive meeting. Members should either vote on spending a specific amount on an item(s), or up to a specific amount. Once an item is purchased and a receipt is given to the Financial Officer, a cheque covering the cost of the item shall be given to the member who made the purchase for the CSA.
- An exception to this rule is reoccurring costs, such as the cost of hosting the CSA’s website or the renewal of the CSA’s domain name. These costs are approved with the initial approval, and are subject to repeal by vote at an executive meeting.
- Except in a case where there are only two members with signing authority, the recipient of funds may not sign for the expenditure of those same funds.
- Student Computing Centre
- The Association has been allocated the Student Computing Centre by UFV Administration and, as such, is subject to restrictions set in place by UFV Administration. UFV Administration carries full authority over how room ABD224 will be utilized. The primary purpose for the SCC is to serve as an academic resource for students.
- Priority for computer and network use in the SCC is given to students who wish to use the resource to complete course work for Computer Information Systems or Computing Science courses they are taking.
- Computers not owned by UFV should not be hooked up to the UFV network without prior written permission received from ITS management.
- Administrator passwords will be shared between the current Executives and the SCC Manager. The Administrator password shall be changed if any of the credential-holding positions change persons.
- The SCC manager shall give an SCC report at all executive meetings to keep members updated on the status of the room and its contents.
- CSA Website
- Modifications to the website shall be done by the Webmaster, utilizing discretion granted by the Executive.
- The Webmaster shall be responsible for ensuring that the CSA Executive is full apprised of expiration dates and costs for services, such as domain registration and hosting, as well as moderation of content.
- The CSA Website shall not be used for personal purposes. Sub-domains for any purpose other than official CSA business shall not be permitted.
6. Modifications to Regulation
- All modifications to regulation shall be approved by two thirds (rounded up) of the members present at an Executive Meeting.
- This is the official copy of regulation, effective September 29, 2017. All previous copies of CSA Regulation are hereby rescinded. Modifications to CSA Regulation require that the date of the last modification be used.